Friday, March 27, 2009

Snow

The Lord speaks in so many ways. One way I find the Lord speaks and teaches me is through my children. My oldest son is all grown up now - well almost - he's 16. When he was a little boy, the Lord revealed something to me through a journey moment. We lived in the Ft. Worth area of Texas. After living there several years, no snow had fallen, not one flake. Our winters weren't much of a winter. One particular Christmas the Lord revealed himself in an amazing way to one small child.

Snow:

On this crisp Christmas Eve, my five year old son and I threw on a light jacket and headed into town to rent a video game for him to play. Jaren and his tender quiet spirit rode gently next to me and I adored the time with him. His beautiful blondish hair and blue green eyes could brighten any winter day.

After our quest had been accomplished, we made our way back home enjoying the season of the colorful lights around the homes. Silence was broken when I heard, “Mom, I wish it would snow.”

I wholeheartedly agreed. I too wanted to see snow but reminded him that it doesn’t snow very much in Texas. In fact, it had not snowed where we lived in many years. If we were to get any snow at all, it would be a flurry or two. Now gazing back out our windows at the beautiful scenery I said, “Look at the rain, if it were cold enough it would be snowing right now.” I could see Jaren’s little mind working.

With such conviction he piped, “We could pray for snow!”

“Yes,” I said and before I knew it his plan was set in motion.

“Mom, you pray for it to be cold enough and I’ll pray for it to snow.”

I said okay and continued driving. He gave me a look and I asked, “Right now?”

“Yes! Right now!” he said bouncing around in his seat.



I asked if it would be okay to pray with our eyes open this time and he agreed that it would be fine. I prayed first. I asked God to please bring the cold. When I finished I heard, out of the mouth of a five-year-old, the most precious prayer. It was a prayer of faith and kindness. It was a simple prayer of a child wanting so desperately to see the beauty of the snow for the very first time.

As we finished, I began to try to explain to Jaren that sometimes God answers our prayers right away and sometimes he does not. I really did not want him to be disappointed if it didn’t snow that night. He just looked at me and smiled.

The next morning I was awakened by my youngest son Zach.

“Mom! It’s snowing!”

I immediately jumped out of bed, rushed to the window, and peered through the cold haze. To my surprise, it was snowing! I gazed upon the biggest snowflakes I had ever seen in Texas. I could not believe my eyes! It really was snowing! On Christmas Day!

My father, who was with us that Christmas, went into Jaren’s room to wake him, knowing he would be excited to see the snow. No one in the house knew that we had prayed for snow the day before. Neither Jaren nor I had watched the news that prior evening.

My father patted his back, “Jaren, wake up. It’s snowing outside!”

Jaren sat up in the bed. He looked at his grandfather, and without running to the window, he smiled and simply said, “I know.”

No comments: