Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Redirected

Have you ever been traveling peacefully down a road only to find that in a moment's notice you must make a detour? The Lord often redirects our steps. When Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt, the Lord led them through various routes.

"When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." (Ex: 13: 17)

"Then the Lord said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites to turn back and encamp near Pi Hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea. They are to encamp by the sea, directly opposite Baal Zephon. Pharaoh will think, 'The Israelites are wondering around in the land in confusion, hemmed in by the desert.' " (Ex: 14: 1-3)


"And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and he will pursue them. But I will gain glory for myself through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord."
(EX: 14:4)

You see God has reasons for redirecting our steps and taking us down paths that may appear longer, more strenuous, and difficult. Though we cannot understand, nor see His reasoning, there is always a plan and purpose. Rather than rising up in anger or frustration, trust in knowing that God has a greater reason and it must be important.

Story -


One day I hurried to get to the store and back. I entered the interstate and drove but a mile when the vehicles came to a stop. We've all been in those situations when nothing is moving. I didn't have time to wait so contemplated another route. Interestingly, I noticed that I sat right next to an exit. In my need to hurry I took the exit.


It wasn't long until I came upon a young woman exiting a moving vehicle - though not moving very fast. It quickly became clear to me that she was in some kind of trouble. Tears flowed down her cheeks as the man in the vehicle screamed and yelled at her. My vehicle happened to of been traveling right behind theirs. The woman ran to the side of the road and started walking. A few more cars appeared and everyone seemed concerned and curious about the commotion in the middle of the street.


Cars pulled around me while I pulled over to the side by the middle aged woman crying and pacing forward. The mean man in the car she jumped out of  was now waiting for her at the next intersection. I rolled down my window and asked if I could help her. She grieved. She cried. She could hardly speak. I could see and sense fear. She stopped and grabbed the handle to my vehicle. The man jumped out of his car and started yelling at her. She suddenly moved away from my car, still crying, and ran toward his. My heart sank as I watched her.

I then called the police to let them know about the disturbance and then prayed. I prayed so hard for her. I had no idea who she was, what kind of trouble had occurred, or if the man was her husband. I sat on the side of the road with tears now flowing down my cheeks and asked God to protect her and to save her from such a situation. I then understood why I had taken the detour. I understood why my vehicle had stopped right next to the exit and why I had felt the nudge to take the exit. There I was thinking that I would get around the cars but God had other plans for me that day. My detour had meaning.


Today you may find yourself unable to get where you need to be in the time you need to be there. Perhaps you will find yourself stuck in traffic and taking a detour. Look for the signs. Look for God to speak to you through those things. That delay - that detour - that sudden change - just may end up having purpose after all.

No comments: