Friday, March 6, 2009

God - In the Midst of Our Needs

We are definitely a needy society. We need our televisions, cell phones, computers, and ipods. We need our dishwashers, washers, dryers, and microwaves. What would our kids ever do without their game systems, shopping malls, designer clothes, and eating out?


We have become so needy and spoiled that it would cause great devastation if this country ever had to live without restaurants, valet parking, and dry cleaning. I confessed to my son the other day that I am truly thankful for having a washer and dryer. When I was a little girl, I remember my sister and I having to put on our shorts, climb into the bathtub with it full of clothes, and stomp on them as if we were stomping on grapes. You see, we were the washing machine.
I feel blessed and am very thankful to the Lord for His provisions.

We not only have physical needs, but we also have emotional needs for the Lord to take care of.
How can God speak to us in the midst of our needs?

After the Israelites crossed the red sea they practically ran at full speed from the Egyptians. The Bible says that they traveled for three days without finding water. When they finally found water it was bitter - they had a need. They needed water, they needed rest, they needed God.


If God was leading then why would He lead them to water that was bitter? God was teaching - and was doing so through their need. This was one of the many lessons that would come from the Lord.


You can read more about their journey in Exodus chapter 15


A Need for Confirmation


In my younger days, I had the incredible opportunity to perform in an outdoor musical drama called “Texas.” It’s a wonderful drama still existing today and sells out just about every summer. I performed in the drama for two years and loved every minute of it. I had no idea that one day God would use that experience to speak to me and to confirm some decisions in my life.
My husband was called to pastor another church after graduating from seminary. This meant that we would be moving from our home state to another state. The church called us and we were in the process of moving. On the way to our new state, we stopped in Canyon to see the show one last time. As with any big move, we wondered if we were truly doing the right thing.
At the very end of the show, a train rolls up and stops to let people off. I was very familiar with the train, as I often stood right beside it during that particular scene in the show. I remembered everything about the show except what was written on the train. My husband and I watched as the train entered the stage. There, on the side of the train were the words, “Ft. Worth To Denver.” Why had we not noticed that before?
That was our confirmation. That was what we needed. We were moving from a small town fifty miles east of Ft. Worth to a small town fifty miles north of Denver. I had a need that day – a need for one last piece of confirmation. God took care of that need for me. We were able to get up the next morning and make our way to the place God wanted us to be.

Look for God to speak to you through and during a need that you have. The lessons will come, you can hear from God and have a successful journey. After the Lord's lesson to the Israelites the Lord led them to a place of rest - Elim. Elim had twelve springs and seventy palm trees! God really does care about our needs.

No comments: