Friday, February 13, 2009

The Mysterious Valentines

I pulled out of our snug little neighborhood of only eight months and drove my two boys to the local grocery store to buy valentines for their classmates. Zach, my youngest, was as gentle as a newborn kitten and just as vibrant. His sandy soft brown hair framed his big blue eyes and ivory skin. My oldest son Jaren was tiny and frail - small for his age. He had such a tender heart and everyone adored his soft blond highlights that gently softened his ivory skin and and blue-green eyes. They were beautiful, but of course, I would think so, being their mother.


Zach had energy enough to last all day and I believe he used up every bit of it. He was always thinking of something to do and getting into things he shouldn’t.

“Mom, make sure I have some valentines left over,” Zach said sly and cunning. I had no idea why he wanted them, but agreed.

I stood over the stove and watched as he addressed the ones for his classmates and then began addressing the rest.

“What are you going to do with those valentines, Zach?” I asked as he worked diligently.

“It’s a secret,” He replied, looking up at me with such a sweet sneaky smile that I had to smile as well.

After Zach signed his name, he began to gather his things and recruit his older brother to help him with his mission. They huddled in a corner near by and filled the room with whispers. I pretended not to notice, but kept a close eye overall.

“All right! Let’s Go!” Zach shouted.

“Remember what we’re going to do?” he asked his older brother.

“Yeah! I remember,” Jaren said and they were off.

They hustled towards the door, their feet carrying them as fast as they could go.

“Hey! Where are you two off to?” I had to ask.

“We’re just playing in the cul-de-sac mom,” Zach answered.

“Okay, but stay together and remember not to go out of the cul-de-sac.”

“We will!” they both shouted excitedly, slamming the door behind them.

I stood in the moment of silence until curiosity got the better of me. I guess I had to be a nosy mother at this point - so began my snooping. I slowly pulled back the ivory-laced curtains that adorned our large window.

“Where are those boys and what are they up to?” I asked as my nose and half my face slowly peered through the window. I held the lacy curtains close to the other side of my face hoping to stay out of sight.

Suddenly I saw a head drop down behind a car that was parked in one of the driveways of a neighbor’s home. I dropped the curtain and looked closer trying to figure out what they were doing hiding in our neighbor’s yard.

I watched as they went to the next neighbor’s house. My eyes focused on my son as he rang the doorbell, knocked on the door, and then scampered behind one of the cars. Panic stricken, I gasped, stood straight up hitting my head on the side of the window.

“I am going to get those boys!” I yelled, rubbing my head.

I stumbled over the couch to get to the front door as fast as I could, the whole while hot lava began to ascend within me.

“How could they do such a thing?” “I know I raised them better than to torment our neighbors like that!”

Groping for the handle, I finally fell through the front door. Catching myself with my hands, I stood up and opened my mouth to call, “Boys!” It was then that something caught attention.

By this time, they were at the next house. I watched Zach take out a small white envelop from his pocket. I could tell that it was crinkled and worn. He took the envelop and placed it at the base of the neighbor’s front door. He then proceeded with his routine of ringing the doorbell, knocking on the door, and then scampering behind one of the cars.

His older brother applauded him and shouted his approval, “Okay! Come on! Hurry up!”
They both giggled the whole while, hardly able to contain themselves.

A middle-aged woman with dark hair opened the door and glanced around the corner. She looked side to side and around the door. I stood on my front step watching her every move. Her forehead crinkled and her lips puckered. Frustration took over and left her puzzled.

“Look down. Look down,” I whispered to myself, standing on the front steps.

She held the door with both hands and slowly pulled it towards her as if to shut it, still fixing her eyes out at the open yard.

I grabbed my face with both hands and wanted to shout, “Look down!”

The boys were nestled behind the vehicle with the tips of their heads in view and all four eyes intensely turned toward the woman.

Right before the door was pulled fully closed her eyes caught the envelop at her feet. She cautiously picked it up and looked around again. Standing in the doorway her fingers slid through the seal and opened the folded leaf. Carefully she pulled out a red card. It was one of my son’s extra valentines.

At a snail's pace, her droopy lips curved ever so slightly until a large smile embraced her. The crinkled brows were now smooth and uplifted. Her face softened as she continued to read the valentine. I have no idea what the valentine said, but knew that whatever it read was sufficient for her.

At that moment, I wanted to cry. I know - I'm a sappy mother. There I was ready to tear into both boys, thinking that they were up to no good and what I received was a sweet surprise. A sweet surprise just like the others were receiving.

As soon as the woman closed the door the boys galloped off to the next house. I stood from a distance and kept my eyes upon them the whole while. They had no idea a mother’s glow was not far behind them. I was beaming. One by one doors were opened, faces were lightened, and smiles were formed. That day they went to all the houses in the cul-de-sac as well as the ones on the next block. They traveled to every house until their hands were emptied of the valentines.

I was proud of them for giving to those whom they did not know. I was proud of them for sharing this simple gift and revealing to me such an act of love. That was the best valentine’s gift I could have ever received and I believed that for many, the mystery valentine, was the best gift they had ever received.

My son is in middle school now and of course life is different for a middle schooler - but for several years he continued his tradition of passing out the mysterious valentines. I'll never forget those moments of:

“Mom, Valentine’s day is almost here. We have to go get the valentines.”

I smiled, gave him a kiss on the cheek, and said, “Let’s go sweetie, the neighbors will be waiting.”

No comments: