Thursday, February 12, 2009

Like Lena - God Speaks in the Silence


When Lena laughed, her whole body jiggled like a bowl of Jell-O. She certainly knew how to laugh and her laughter caused a domino effect as it trickled onto others and they too began to laugh. Lena, a senior in high school, had a round body and big rosy cheeks. Her smile covered her entire face leaving only her squinty eyes.

Getting to know Lena was extremely difficult because she could not speak. She would not make eye contact with anyone she didn’t know and Lena was very tactile defensive. If someone approached her, she would pull her arms inward and up close to her side. She would then turn her head and body away from that person and let out a very strong vocal cry. Like an injured bird her harsh call could be heard throughout the school. Lena had no way of really communicating with anyone except through her own gestures that she made up and a few signs she learned from sign language. She was trapped.

One day a thought occurred to me, “I wonder if Lena could learn to use a communication board?”

I spoke with the teachers and introduced the Mayer Johnson Communication Board systems to them. This was a simple device where pictures were used to help an individual speak. The teachers immediately took action and before I knew it, the school was installing the system for Lena. Of course today that system would be outdated.

The task of opening up a completely new world for Lena had begun. That last year of school, Lena learned to communicate with others in a new and fresh way. The teachers mentioned that they wished they had known about the Board Maker sooner. They spoke about the things Lena could have learned had they known about that system before her senior year.

By the end of her senior year, she was “talking up a storm” so to speak. She carried a communication board around with her all the time. She would often approach me, tug at my shirt, and point to a symbol on the board. She and I were able to have a conversation and even though I could not hear her voice, she still spoke.

Sometimes, when I open up the Bible and read a passage it says exactly what I am feeling. Many times I open up the Bible to read something and it is as if God is trying to speak to me through that passage or scripture. The scripture comes alive - pops out at me - and pricks my heart in deep places. Something stands out and there is a strong stirring. I know then that God is speaking to me through His word.

I used to look at it in disbelief and say, “How could that happen?” - but not anymore. Now I know. I know that God speaks . . . even though I cannot always hear His voice . . . He still speaks and in so many ways.

Open up your Bible, get to know God, and have a dialogue with Him. Before we can find Him in the details of our walk we must build that relationship. I’m sure you can pick your best friend out of a large crowd – but what about finding God in the details of your life? Will you be able to recognize when He is speaking to you and in what way? - You can have a successful journey with the Lord!

No comments: