Monday, January 3, 2011

Success in the Journey

"Without saying a word, the man watched her closely to learn whether or not the LORD had made his journey successful."                                                                        Genesis 24:21


I love Abraham's servant. He was asked to go find a wife for Isaac.  All he wanted to do was please God and please his master. What I love is that he asked God to make his journey successful. He asked God to help him succeed - this day - on this journey. "Then he prayed, “LORD, God of my master Abraham, make me successful today, and show kindness to my master Abraham."  You see, the servant had a lot of anxiety about his task and whether he could pull it off. He had concerns about whether he would be able to find the right woman to take back to Isaac. There was quite a bit of pressure - what if he had failed? What if he could not find her?

Well, the Lord answered his prayer that day and God did lead the servant the right way. God did send the one woman that would be the perfect wife for Isaac. The servant didn't waste any time in falling on his knees in gratitude before the Lord and praising him.

"Then the man bowed down and worshiped the LORD, saying, “Praise be to the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not abandoned his kindness and faithfulness to my master. As for me, the LORD has led me on the journey to the house of my master’s relatives.”

Successful Journeys

The truth is, our journeys are often filled with success. Things turn out just as they should, we find those very needed items we have been searching for, there were no disasters that particular day, we made it to work on time in spite of the traffic, an unexplained check came in the mail, the kids didn't fight, food in the pantry stretched farther than we thought, and so much more. We do have successful journeys.

I want to be more like the servant who prayed at the beginning of his journey - recognized when it had become successful - and understood the hand in the success. I want to be more like that servant who at first recognition falls to his knees and praises the one who helped the journey become successful.

A new journey - a new you!

No comments: