Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rain Down

When I first moved to Colorado it felt as if it rarely rained. It just doesn't rain here - I thought. I missed the smell of the rain - the sound of the rain - and the freshness that it brought. Well this year we have certainly had our fill of rain.I love it! It means less watering and less of a water bill.

For some reason (and possibly due to the rain ) I woke up this morning singing, "Rain Down your love on me! Rain down your love!" If you know the song you will recognize the lyrics. I thought it strange that I would wake up singing that particular song. It may have been due to having so much rain the day before.

Yet - in my quiet time this morning I  read through my entire text for the day and then came to the very last verse.

"When the king smiles, there is life;
his favor refreshes like a gentle rain."
Proverbs 16:15



Again - a reference to rain! I have been completely overwhelmed lately and in much need of a "getaway." Last week my husband said to me, "Now I want you to go and have a day just for you!"

I stood in my bedroom and said to myself, "What do I want to do just for me today?" I had a really difficult time with that! I don't know how long I stood there but my mind came up blank. If I wasn't working on something, cleaning something, or preparing for something for someone else then I was really lost.

And in an instant I decided to go to the zoo! (it was the first thing that popped in my head) I felt strange and unsettled driving myself to the zoo. My first fifteen minutes at the zoo were of listening to screaming babies and children running here and there. I said out loud to God, "I must have been insane coming to the zoo when all of the school kids are here!" After all I needed rest and relaxation.

Suddenly it started to rain. The kids were scrambling to the buses - the babies were being taken out of the rain - and I was left standing in the midst of it. I laughed, pulled the hood over my head, and started walking. Within minutes the zoo seemed empty - vacant - and I was left alone.
All I could do was smile myself - and tell the Lord, "Rain down Lord - just rain down."

Look for the Lord to refresh you this day - to encourage you this day - to bless you this day. It will come in unexpected ways.


2 comments:

Denise said...

Tina...i love you so much...what a beautiful story...thank you for sharing. Denise

Unknown said...

I love you too. Thank you for reading!