Monday, May 21, 2012

Kidnapped and Captivated

This past Saturday, because of a cancelled baseball game, my husband kidnapped the family for a trip to Wyoming. "Pitter Patter" the drops fell on the windshield and I asked, "Are you sure this is a good idea. . . .it's raining?" "Oh yes!" David said, "It's a great day!" He lifted his shoulders like a large rooster - proud and content.
By the time we found our spot the rain had stopped and the Lord brought a glorious day. While visiting Register Cliff, I noticed something I had never seen. There, at the top of the rocks, were very unusual birds nests filled with birds. I became so fascinated with them that everyone else grew tired and moved on. 

The nests were delicately crafted and shaped so perfectly. I thought of the warmth and the shade the nests must provide for the birds. I gazed upon the community and how they nested near each other.



The birds were swift and flew in and out of their nests so gracefully.

"Wow Lord - you created this," I thought.





 At one point it felt as if I were standing in the "Birds" movie. Birds flew everywhere!

Cliff Swallows - They collect mud pellets to make their nests. They work long and hard even though the rain could wash it away in an instant. 

I stood in the midst of their great journey and thought of how ours is so similar. People work hard to build their homes - just like these birds. People have busy lives looking so much like this - in and out - flying here and there - unsettled it seems. The babies stayed in the nest while the adults flew out. When do they rest?

I began to thank God for shelter that covers us in the cold and warm seasons. For a place to nest - to raise our children - and make it a home - unique in every way. I thanked Him for a community of people - who help us along the way.






I thought of how the birds nested above a place where others traveled so long ago to find a better home land. The birds carved their nests where others carved their names. I stood where hundreds of wagons passed by and children from the 1800s climbed on the rocks and played in the nearby river. I stood on the ground where weary and exhausted settlers stood wiping their brows and shielding their faces from the hot sun.  

"What a journey," I thought. "What a journey."

Our journeys can feel difficult, strenuous, tiresome, and chaotic. We see the swallows who find a particular place to nest and at the same time reflect upon the settlers from the Oregon Trail striving to do the same. Though someone else's journey may appear better than ours, we are not so different. We all want the same things, a secure place to rest our heads and raise our families.

As we made our own journey back home, I gleamed at the view in front of me. "Thank you for my journey Lord," I whispered, "May it be just as wonderful."



May Your Journeys Be Filled With Captivating Moments

No comments: