Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Office Call

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11

A small tap on the shoulder and a sweet whisper brought morning earlier than my desire.

“Telephone for you, mom,” came the soft voice from my eight-year-old son. “Doesn’t anyone sleep in on Saturdays anymore?” I thought while taking the phone. Clearing my raspy voice, I said, “Hello?”

I tried to listen as she spoke her name and shared where she was calling from but sleep lingered in the air. I understood the words, "doctor’s office." so I sat upright in bed to pay attention.

“How are you doing?” she asked. I could feel the smile through the phone. Cheery, uplifting, and personal - definitely someone of an early morning nature.

I began to tell her about my neck and the pain that appeared to be getting worse. I shared about how the terrible stiffness in my neck had broadened, making its way toward the back the throbbing increasing the whole while.

“Have you started your antibiotic?” She said in a nice tone. I assured her that I had. “Well, give it some time to work.”

By that time, I gathered my thoughts and appreciated the phone call from the office. “What a wonderful doctor’s office I have!” I thought to myself.

Upon further explanation that seemed to go on and on, she finally asked, “Have you tried the heating pad?” I shared that I just bought one and it did seem to help quite a bit.

We must have spent about fifteen or twenty minutes on the phone talking and sharing about neck stiffness, joint aches, pain, and remedies as well as my recent visit to the doctor’s office. We tried to solve it all. I took that opportunity to pour it all out and she took that opportunity to listen and share helpful tips. After the long conversation and after I felt I had said all there was to say, I ended it with, “Well, thank you for the call!”

Suddenly, as if in slow motion, I heard the words, “Oh, I just called to tell Dave his crown was in.”

I was motionless, speechless, and unresponsive. Did I hear that right? She just called to tell my husband that his crown was in. Whom was I speaking with on the other end of the phone? I suddenly realized that it was not my doctor’s office that called, but my husband’s dentist office!

Boy did I feel silly! "Oh - okay, I'll let him know," I said in dismay - hanging the phone up. Later I reflected back on that moment (all the while laughing) about how God had placed a wonderful woman on the phone who had called for some other reason than to listen to me, share with me, or help me. Never-the-less - she did. She took the time out of her busy morning. . . . She took the time to sit with a complete stranger on the phone and listen to her ramble on about her neck issues. . . . She took the time to provide helpful tips. . . she took the time. . . she took the time.

My journey that morning with a complete stranger opened my eyes. I was reminded of how little time I spend listening. I was reminded of how "my agenda" seems to take over. I was reminded that our encounters with others have meaning and purpose. I was reminded that God really does care about our little issues in life. I was reminded that I too need to take the time. . . I too need to take the time.

No comments: