Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Journey of Hearing From God

One of the questions I get asked more than any other is "How can we know that God is speaking to us?" "How do I follow God's direction?" "I don't feel God around me."



Tough questions - sometimes the Lord reveals Himself so clearly that it is almost impossible to miss while other times are more subtle. Of course we can't always base our feelings on what might truly be happening when we say, "I don't feel God around me." Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God says that God speaks by the "Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church." But I have found that God uses other things to speak to us as well.



I know that to hear Him more clearly on a daily basis it must begin with a relationship. Building the relationship and becoming familiar with God's teachings and scriptures gives us a better opportunity to hear and recognize those moments when he is speaking. Can God speak to you if you do not have a relationship with Him? Of course He can. God uses many ways to get our attention. From there - the relationship begins and we learn to tune into God's voice.



Mothers are particularly good at keeping track of their small children. When a mother wakes her child for the day and leaves them to get ready while she works in the kitchen to prepare lunches or breakfast does she stop tuning into what her child is doing? Most would say no. One ear is usually tuned to the rattling of the dresser drawers, the squeaking closet doors, and running water in the bathroom. Even though a mother is busy about her work, she is still tuned into what her child is doing. In the same sense when a child is playing gleefully next to its mother while she sits and visits with a friend, what do think would happen if the mother rose up and started to walk away? You guessed it - a panic stricken toddler following after. Even though the child was playing, it was still tuned into its mother.



I believe that God does that with His children. Even though He is busy about His work - he is tuned into what we are doing, how we are feeling, what is going on in our heart . . . and at just the right moment - He speaks. Although it may not always be in the way we expect.







Bathroom Mirror



After returning home from a long day my husband snapped at me. I knew he was under a great deal of stress as senior pastor of our church and had practically been up all night working on a paper for seminary. “What gave him the right to snap at me?” I asked myself. Boy was I being selfish and childish. Not realizing that this was a day that my mate needed 90 percent from me, I only gave ten. I was upset and decided that I would show him! Amidst my childish behavior, I found my Bible and marched loudly to the bathroom. I dug deep into my makeup case and pulled out the brightest tube of lipstick I could find. I started at the top left-hand corner of the bathroom mirror and wrote in big bold letters, “LOVE IS PATIENT, LOVE IS KIND, LOVE IS NOT EASILY ANGERED!” I stepped back to take a thoughtful look at my masterpiece and decided it would do the trick - get his attention.

I left my graffiti, walked out, and then began to wait. I waited for the pleasant apology. I waited for the deserved hug and warm embrace. I waited . . . and waited . . . and waited. “Any minute now,” I thought. Time passed as I watched my husband enter in and exit out of the bathroom door all the while never saying a word about the scripture on the mirror. As usual, his attitude softened and his apology came but still with no mention of what I had done. I wanted to ask him if he had noticed the mirror. In my stubbornness, I chose not to be the first to bring it up. I decided to make sure it sank in so I left the scripture on the mirror for about a month or so. Well, God does have a sense of humor.

Back then, my children were younger and demanded more attention from me and in my attempt to escape to get a few minutes to myself, I would retreat to the bathroom to count to ten or catch my breath. As I stood at the sink, I would look up at that mirror and read what I had written. What was intended for someone else became my rescue. It relaxed me on mornings when little hands were pounding on the door while I was getting ready for work. “Love is patient.” It was a soothing balm when I became tired and felt like snapping. “Love is kind.” It became a reminder for me when my temper was short and I felt the tension rising in my soul. “Love is not easily angered.” It was a teaching tool for me and to this day I am still learning to follow that scripture. I had no idea when I scribbled it on the mirror that day that I was actually writing it for myself - but God knew and at just the right moment . . . He spoke.





As you venture out on your journey with God strive to build that relationship. That is one of the first steps you can take in learning to hear God's voice as well as moving forward and having the journey you so desire. Look for Him to speak to you through His word - however He may choose to do so. . . Look for those Journey Moments.

No comments: