Friday, January 30, 2009

Your Journey Through the Holy Spirit

As a pastor’s family, we go through the struggles of having to pay for our own medical insurance, taxes, and social security. In a small church that can be a very difficult thing to do. Our health care coverage plan had been extremely frustrating throughout the years, but we were finally able to get dental insurance. We desperately needed it, especially for my youngest son who had been struggling with a toothache for some time. When we finally recieved coverage we all headed to the dentist for our workups. It was quite comical - all of us sitting next to each other getting our teeth looked at. Unfortunately, our family dentist informed my youngest son that he was in need of a pediatric dentist. I immediately called to find one only to learn that all the pediatric dentists on our insurance plan were pulling out for some reason. We were left without coverage for a pediatric dentist in our area. After many conversations with the insurance company, we realized that we were not going to recieve any help from them. Now broken and tearful we needed to move forward and pay full price for a special dentist. I looked in the phone book and randomly chose a name. The appointment was set for the next morning.

The next morning I jumped out of bed ready to take my son to his appointment, but as the morning progressed something began to stir within me. A strange feeling covered me and I found myself unsure of whether it was the right thing to do. I did not have the peace I needed to move forward. "What is it?" I questioned myself. I tried to evaluate my fears. Was it because I knew we didn't have the money to go? Was it because I didn't want to make the trip into a near by town? I wasn't sure. I sent my son to school and immediately called to cancel the appointment. While canceling the appointment I had the phonebook draped across my lap. At that moment my eyes fell upon an advertisement for another pediatric dentist. I felt a strong tugging to call that dentist. Okay sometimes I do feel as if I am losing my mind. Who in there right mind would cancel one appointment and immediately turn around and call to schedule another one? It all seemed odd to me.

The new dentist office I called could see us right away. I prayed the entire way there that the office would allow us to make payments and that we would not be required to put a large sum of money down. After meeting the dentist and hearing his assessment of my son’s teeth I knew the total would be costly. The dentist asked questions about our family and my husband. I shared with him about my husband being the senior pastor of a church. I also told him where we were from and our move to Colorado. I then asked him about payments and spoke with him about the frustration we had been experiencing with our insurance company. He just smiled and told me that they would take care of us up front.

I sat out in the foyer and continued to fill out my paper work when suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was the dentist. He gave a quick nod to follow him. I assumed that he needed to share more about my son’s teeth. He took me into a conference room and asked me to have a seat while he sat across from me. He began with, “Tina, I’m going to fix all of Zachery’s teeth. I wanted you to know that I will take care of doing that, but I am not going to charge you.” I sat stunned, shocked, and speechless. "Did I hear right?" I thought.

He continued, “You see, you did not know that I have a ministry to minister’s families.” My lips quivered and large tear drops formed. Gently pushing the tissue box my way he said, "That's why I brought you in here. I felt you might get a little emotional." At that moment I released all of my emotions and like a water fall the tears fell. I expressed to him how close I came to seeing another dentist. The thought of God redirecting me urged me to want to cry even more!

God is so good! Every six months the dentist closes his doors to the public so that he can clean the teeth of minister’s children. I love going on those days. As I look across the room filled with pastor's families I feel such a bond. My heart bubbles, everything overflows, and I become misty-eyed all over again. The dentist comes out, claps his hands together, and shouts, “Oh yeah! Pastor’s Day!”

While on our journey it is difficult to sort through and discern those promptings from the Holy Spirit. Sometimes we second guess ourselves and have fears of our own that might keep us from moving forward with what God might want su to do. Over time you will learn to trust those feelings and the Holy Spirit's promptings will become clearer. Trust that God will give you the settling that you need to move forward in His prompting. Pray that God will make it very clear to you what He wants you to do. Rest in the quiet and listen for His voice. In the end by living tuned into the Holy Spirit your journey will become so much more and you will find God in the details of it all.

No comments: