Monday, August 26, 2013

Sweet Release - Greater Return


In my book, Wounded Women of the Bible, there is a chapter on Jochebed releasing Moses. The chapter hit home this week as my husband and I dropped our last son off at college.  Releasing our first son was difficult enough. The last was just as painful and we were now entering the empty nest zone.

We stood outside the arena and looked at each other - you know that awkward feeling of needing and wanting to say something but too afraid because the faucet might start running? Or perhaps the stillness in the moment became a long pause because no one wanted to say the aching words, “Good bye.”

I stirred up excitement within and put a smile on my face. Though my heart was churning with emotion, I reached up and grabbed hold of my son. I wanted him to see my delight, joy, and thrill of his new adventure. “You’re going to do great!” I boasted.

We hugged several times and then walked away. “Hold it together,” I whispered.

The two day drive home was difficult. About half way home my husband totally lost it – which caused me to lose it. (Good thing we had a box of tissues nearby). Suddenly I found myself in Jochebed’s shoes and I was reminded of what I wrote, If we can learn to release to God what is already His, if for no other reason than because it is the right thing to do, then one day, we’ll receive a return on what we’ve lost . . . a return that only God can give.” My sons are as much, or more, God’s sons than mine. Do I trust that God the Father can care for them better than I? That is one of the secrets to letting go - coming to a gut wrenching "AHA MOMENT" that God is a better parent than I am! (Believe it or not, Webster's dictionary defines it as: "a moment of sudden realization, inspiration, insight, recognition, or comprehension.")   
 

From this moment on I will pray and wait for my return – not only of my sons, but the incredible ways God is going to work in their lives.   Now that's a sweet release and the return will be even better.  


 

 

No comments: