Wednesday, July 4, 2012

God Bless America Revisited


This morning I watched BeBe Winans sing God Bless America on Good Morning America. As the beautiful rich tone in his voice echoed from the platform, I began to focus on the lyrics. He sang the song in such a way it almost forced me to think about the words. The song, we have mouthed the words to a million times and half-heartedly vocalized, suddenly tugged at my heart.


Could this be my prayer? Could I say the words and truly focus on the meaning of them for the first time in my life - without being in church, a sports function, or event? Afterwards I sat in the silence and sung the words in my own way - with no vocal sound - no crowd of people - and no hurry to get it over - just myself and the Lord.


Father God - please bless America,


This land, that not only I love, but that you love, you created, you designed.

Lord, thank you that you never leave us. Please continue to stand beside us Lord - guiding us through every crisis, turmoil, and destruction.

From the Rocky Mountains in my back yard Lord - to the  prairies that extend far beyond our vision.

Bless our sweet homes Lord -nestled deep in the snow drifts of Alaska to the tall pines of Texas,

Down to the oceans, flowing white with strength and power.

God bless us - Lord -  please bless us.

We need you Lord -

We need you.

Bless America Lord.




May Your Journey Be Filled With Prayers for Our Country

No comments: