Tuesday, November 10, 2009

From Black and White to Color

This past week I ended up in bed for several days with a bad cold. While trying to recoup, I watched a movie I haven’t seen in a while. Most of the movie of Pleasantville is in black and white. At some point people start turning from the dreary and average black and white to full vibrant colors. After a while, I realized that the change of color came about when the individual made a drastic change within them selves or when the individual’s true character came about. Suddenly they went from black and white to full color.

One of my favorite scenes is actually the very last scene of the movie. By this time everyone in the city and the city itself had come into full bloom of color. The last scene ended with a few of the characters sitting on a park bench surrounded by all the beauty of spring. One character said to the other, “What do we do now?”

When we have come to the point of change, when all the colors of truth and who we are come forward, and when nothing else is hidden, then the beauty that has been there all along, all of a sudden is unveiled. We then begin to view things differently and truly see for the very first time.

“What do we do now?” The other said, “I don’t know.” There they sat peaceful and calm in the serenity of the moment full of anticipation of what is to come.

We often have a difficult time sitting on the bench. Instead of waiting, resting, and enjoying the colors of life, we feel the need to act – to respond – to take over and do something! How can we just sit idle without a plan?

It is one of the hardest things to do – to let God lead us along the way – to wait for God to speak – to do nothing. I want to find the most peaceful bench surrounded by the most beautiful colors of every season imaginable. With my new found vision of seeing life in a totally different shade, I will say to the Holy One who opened my eyes, “What do we do now?”

I will rest there among the greens and blooms, the blues and hues, and I dare not move until he whispers for me to do so.

This week – enjoy the journey, seek to change from the ordinary black and white to true color, and then bask in the vibrant flowing beauty that God has placed around you.

No comments: