Monday, May 14, 2012

My Father's World

This morning I sat and focused on a picture of my father holding his great catch - catfish. My father loved to fish. He taught me how to bait a hook and remove the fish from the line. It wasn't unusual for him to lead us through the woods to his secret fishing hole. I loved seeing him smile. 


For the past few weeks I have been sitting in my quiet sanctuary at home. I sometimes stare at the black and white keys and ask, "What should I sing today?" but not lately. I stared at my father's picture sitting elegantly on top of the piano and allowed my thoughts to turn toward a song:  "This is My Father's World." 


I am not sure why it moves me so much. The song was written by, Maltbie Davenport Babcock, a Minister from New York who loved nature, walks, and writing. He often told his wife,"I'm going out to see the Father's world." His love for nature and God shines through in this song. The verses are filled with emotion, wisdom, and care.  But there is one verse I sing over and over again.   




This is my Father’s world. O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world: the battle is not done:
Jesus Who died shall be satisfied,
And earth and Heav’n be one.



When I think of my earthly father I am reminded of the battles he not only endured but instigated, I am reminded of the hardships, pain, and suffering he lived through, and I am reminded of the wrongs he committed and those committed against him. 


As I gaze upon the picture my mind takes me to another place; a place beside my heavenly Father. Through the song I am reminded that my heavenly Father is strength. 


Though the wrongs seem strong, God reminds me, "I am the ruler yet!" 


Though it feels we have lost the battles, God says, "They're not done!"  


Though the world appears satisfied, God boasts, "I will be satisfied." 


Like a mighty wind God swept down and enveloped my earthly father, moving him, working in him, and changing him. For years the battles raged but God said, "It's not over." Spiritually my father accepted Christ and it changed his heart and life. Physically my father was taken home after a long battle with illness. In the end God's victory prevailed. 


When I think about my earthly father I can't help but think about my heavenly Father. When I think about my heavenly Father I can't help but think about my earthly father. They are joined in heaven, united, walking, talking, and enjoying one another. 


My Father was satisfied  . . . . . and thank you Lord that we could be satisfied here on earth as well. 


Whatever you are facing today know that the battle is not over - - - - God will have the victory. 

May Your Journey Be Filled With God's Satisfaction. 

No comments: