Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Map of Melodies

Our days are filled with mapping and preparation. We map out our journeys. We take great effort in preparing for that vacation or trip. We decide what steps we will take, what paths we will clear, what roads we will travel. A month ago I thought I had a pretty good plan and mapped out a pretty good journey for myself. My plan was to come to Texas and help my mother move to a new town and a new home. Two weeks into it my mother became very ill. So now I sit beside her hospital bed. Eleven days so far is enough to wear anyone out. "What is going on God?" I often ask. My plan was to pack - to sort - to move. God had another plan for my coming.

I am so thankful to be sitting beside her bed. On good days we reminisce about her childhood, laugh about the crazy things that have happened in her life thus far, and sometimes sing. In some of her weakest moments when asked, "How are you doing?" She almost shouts, "Wonderful!" (even though we all know how sick she has been; she knows it too) but what amazes me is when after shouting "Wonderful!" she breaks out into song - "Wonderful! Wonderful! Isn't He wonderful!" - A song she learned many years ago about her Lord and Savior.

The nurses and therapist smile and my heart turns with emotion. What a testimony as I am reminded of how I often complain about every little pain in my life and yet during her sickest moments  she finds a way to sing.

"But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress,
my refuge in times of trouble. You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress,
my God on whom I can rely."
  Psalm 59: 16-17

King David sang quite a bit in the midst of his trials and tribulations as well. Psalm 59 is just one of those many moments where he declared he would sing to the Lord. God is the one who maps our journeys. God is the one who sees our future and declares our steps. Is there a way to sing through each turn, road block, and bump? Can we map our journeys with song leaving behind sweet melodies? As I travel behind where my mother has journeyed I grab hold of those melodies she has so gracefully left behind.

I have no idea where this journey will lead but my prayer is that I will rise up to sing like a king and declare my praises to the world like a queen . . . my sweet mother.

May your Journey be filled with Singing

No comments: