Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Questions

While at a writing conference this past week, I came upon an older gentleman where I was staying. He asked a lot of questions - questions which would eventually lead to a conversation about Christ.

Questions #1

"What kind of writing conference are you attending?"


I told him that I was attending a Christian Writer's Conference. He suddenly perked up, moved closer, and tuned his ears to what I had to say.

Question #2

"What kind of Christian writing do you do?"


I told him that I wrote devotionals and Bible Studies. He clapped his hands and leaned in even more exclaiming, "This is so interesting!"


Question #3

"I have friends who are Muslim. They ask, "How can Christians serve a God who sends people to hell?"


I told him that God doesn't send people to hell. He created us to have a choice. God's greatest desire is that we would choose Him, but he does not force us to love him, serve him, or want to have him in our lives. He is a God that honors our choice whether good or bad. If we choose not to have him in our lives then that in itself is hell - whether here on earth or somewhere else.


Question #4

"How can you celebrate Easter when it is named after the sex goddess Ishtar?"


We do not celebrate Easter - we celebrate the Resurrection of Christ. Our focus is on Christ and his resurrection. We had a wonderful visit and after a while we parted. I thanked the Lord for allowing me to have a conversation about Him to this man.



My Question:


"Do you suppose that encounter with this man was coincidental or did God have something to do with it?



I happened to have been outside at that moment. I happened to have been staying at the same place he was staying. I happened to have been the one he asked the questions to. I didn't do anything anyone else couldn't do - I just made myself available for God to use.

Look for those encounters with others that God brings your way. Find him in the details of your walk. Ready yourself.






No comments: