Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Other Side

Sometimes our journeys lead us to the other side. The other side of what? You might ask. The other side of your situation, job, living, life. There is another side.

"When Jesus noticed how large the crowd was growing, he instructed his disciples to cross over to the other side of the lake."

Upon first moving to Colorado, I was asked to lead worship for the small church my husband pastored. I had no idea what it would be like inheriting a praise team already established! Needless to say, it was not like starting from scratch and I was worried about making any changes. One day in my quiet time desperately seeking God and asking him to show me which way I should go, I came upon this passage. As I read those words the Lord's presence fell upon my heart and I knew that it was time to cross over to the other side - to make the changes. I had no idea what that would look like or how difficult it would be - only that we needed to.

As I read further I found that in the midst of the crossing "Suddenly a terrible storm came up, with waves breaking into the boat. But Jesus was sleeping."

Where's Jesus when you need him! He says "cross over" and then falls asleep in the middle of the storm! The crossing over with the praise team was not as smooth as I would have liked. Making changes is never easy. Changing patterns and routines are always difficult in any situation. There are bound to be storms along the journey. But I pressed on and was determined to cross over just as Christ had directed.

Sometimes our crossings are smooth as if gliding on glass while at other times we face the rolling seas and the high winds. There will be times when God says, "let us cross over to the other side" and out of fear or insecurities we stay on the safe side living in our every day ruts. Only God knows what awaits us on the other side.

I do love those devoted disciples who willing followed Christ through rough terrain and endless miles of road never knowing what a day would bring. At least they were willing to follow and on more than one occasion they cried out, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" (not in those exact words) Life does feel like that sometimes.

"And Jesus answered, 'Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!' Then he stood up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly all was calm."

You see, it is not God's desire or goal that we should be harmed by the raging seas or face frightful moments. His desire is to love us, to be loved, provide for us, and to give us hope and a future. Our crossing over to the other side may not be painless, but God promises to ride the boat with us.  In my Bible reading for January 11, 2011, I came upon this passage once again. Once again I found myself praying and asking God which way I should go. Once again I found him saying, "Come let us cross over to the other side."  A New Journey Begins.

No comments: