Monday, April 20, 2009

To Dairy Queen . . .and Beyond!

Sometimes our journeys are unexpected. I have learned that anything can happen and what I really perceive is happening may not be accurate. Today was a very busy day for me. I juggled a million hats. Women in general do that, but as a pastor's wife I have those days where I do more juggling than I would like. It all started with a visit to my friend's house to meet with her insurance man while she was at work. Then off to the church where I ended up  meeting with our youth pastor about decorations for his youth room -  I then had a conversation with our church secretary which ended in praying over her and for her - delivered poinsettias to shut ins and friends - had a cup of coffee with Ms. Evelyn who recently turned ninety - ran by another friend's home and visited with her about her cooking - ran home to find my oldest son ill -got him meds and settled - fed the dog - fed myself - phone rang - headed out to meet with another woman at the church - ended up ministering to one woman who had come and spent time praying - never did get to the things I planned on doing with the other woman who came to meet me at the church - Finished praying with the woman in need - finished up in time to teach a teenager a piano lesson (still at the church) - ran to the store for a few items on the way home - started dinner - ate dinner - cleaned up - finished watching a movie with my youngest son which we had started the night before - movie ended - hubby came home from meeting - we all ran to Dairy Queen for a treat - and then . . . I didn't have a hat for what happened next. However - it was definitely a Calgon moment.

My husband decided that he would NOT go through the drive - thru at Dairy Queen. My oldest son had been ill earlier and did not look his best so he decided to wait in the car but first gave us his ice-cream request. My youngest son did not want to go in either - nor would he tell us what he wanted. Suddenly he regressed to five years old. He fumed - he fussed - he whined - his voice elevated to an extreme high pitch. "I don't want to go in!" My husband and I got out of the car hoping he would follow - he did not. We ordered what we wanted and then ordered something we thought he might like. (Okay we have a soft heart)

All the way home a tired unhappy young fellow graced us with his rebellious tone. After threats of grounding he still continued - My husband threatened that if he did not close his mouth he would lose his XBox for a week - my son continued - "Two weeks!" hubby shouted. That didn't stop my son. Somehow the grounding kept going - "One month!" "Two months!" until finally . . . . "Yard sale!" My oldest son and I snickered. Nothing stopped the shrills and of course we couldn't believe he was acting so childish.
Finally making it home - I took my tired body and tried to exit the vehicle - all the while listening to the rantings of a fourteen year old. His little lips moved non stop - rapidly as if he had no control over them. At one point I looked around to find something I could possibly shove between them hoping that would help. My husband and I were now on edge - tired - worn - weary - there was nothing else to take away from my son! He had lost just about everything and still kept on going. In the midst of that my oldest son was oblivious to what was happening - he was in his own little world like most sixteen year old boys. While trying to get up the steps and into the house for solitude and wishful settlement, my oldest son decided to do the "Dairy Queen trick" with his blizzard - you know - the kind where you take the frozen blizzard and hold it upside down. According to Dairy Queen it is not supposed to budge. Well - they actually did that for us after making the blizzard - however my son was in the car and did not get to see it.

We reached the bottom of the steps in the garage that led into the house when my oldest son suddenly decided to stop - turn his blizzard upside down and give out a big shout of "YYYEEAAHH!" I watched as two seconds later - the ice cream fell to the steps creating a big "PLOP" leaving my son dumbfounded and holding onto his empty upside down dairy queen cup! At the same time my youngest son is whining, "I didn't want to go in . . . . I don't know what they have! . .. I just wanted to go through the drive -thru . .. you could have just gone through the drive-thru! . . ." I wanted to get back in the car and drive around the block or maybe the state of Colorado! After the ice-cream was cleaned up and the youngest son sent to bed - my husband and I stood by the dryer (one more task) and burst out in laughter. We laughed and laughed. My husband said, "I just wanted a nice trip to the Dairy Queen."


Hope your journey is filled with laughter this week.

No comments: